Holland 2015

5 years, 9 months ago Neil Murray wrote:
Neil Murray

Welcome to the Matrix Blog Page, this page has been designed so that we can keep everyone up to date with what the Unit is up to. this will be particularly helpful when we are away on international expeditions like this years trip to Holland. We are hoping to be able to post a daily blog so that people at home can see what the expedition team have been doing each day.

this will also help us to keep parents up to date with any changes to departure and arrival times if needed, so please keep a careful watch on this blog for updates.

in the run up to departure I will be posting updates on here about the getting to know you / training sessions if you have any questions you can reply to the blog or use the forums about this trip, or you can contact me directly.

Replies

5 years, 9 months ago Neil Murray wrote:
Neil Murray

Holland getting to know you / training session 1 will take place at 9th Aylesbury Scout HQ, Oakfeild road, Aylesbury on 6th June 2015 between 10:00 – 16:00hrs. Please ware your activity uniform if you have it, lunch will be provided. during the day there will be a number of different activities running so that you can get to know other members of the expedition team.

Please ensure that you let me know if you are able to attend or not.

5 years, 7 months ago Neil Murray wrote:
Neil Murray

Arrangements for Friday 24th July 2015.

Please bring your main bag down to the 9th Aylesbury Scout HQ on Oakfield Road at 20:00hrs when you drop you bag off you will be given a luggage label which you will be asked to complete and place on your bag before go home. You will then need to return at 22:45hrs with your day bag you will need to have everything you need with you including food, drinks, passport, EHIC and any medications. Most medications will need to be handed in however any emergency medication such EPI-PENs and Asthma inhalers you will be able to keep on your person. However I would recommend that you give us a spare one to keep just in case.

Neil Murray

On the Holland diary event there is a copy of the participant handbook witch you can all download and read if you would like. When you look at the timetable in the handbook we are in subcamp Yellowlands and group A.

Please remember to ware your Matrix Activity uniform on Friday night, also if you would like to buy some wristbands they will be available for sale again on Friday night.

5 years, 7 months ago Janine Sinclair wrote:
Janine Sinclair

Laura’s read it!!

5 years, 7 months ago Hils wrote:
Hils

The Jamborette Camp Leader has posted the following message on facebook – please take note!
Dear participants of the Haarlem Jamborette, Over five hundred volunteers have already built the infrastructure and main camp. Tomorrow and Sunday we are more than happy to welcome you on our campsite. Unfortunately the weather conditions will be poor tomorrow. Strong winds and heavy rains are expected (wind force 8/9 bft.). Therefore make sure your kids have warm clothing and raincoats in their hand luggage. They must be prepared for a walk from the bus/vehicle/train to the campsite and erect their own tents in rainy conditions. See you all tomorrow! Robin Middel – Camp Leader Haarlem Jamborette

Neil Murray

Just a few hours from departure now. It is my hope that we will be able to post a daily report on our activities during this expedition. you can also follow the activities of our subcamp on twitter @Yellowlands . There is also lots of information on the Haarlem Jamborette website http://www.haarlemjamborette.nl/

Neil Murray

Just a few hours from departure now. It is my hope that we will be able to post a daily report on our activities during this expedition. you can also follow the activities of our subcamp on twitter @Yellowlands . There is also lots of information on the Haarlem Jamborette website http://www.haarlemjamborette.nl/

Neil Murray

Map showing participants attending the Jamborette http://batchgeo.com/map/b5d99d2658999773df777871db96db20

Neil Murray

Departure all went as planned, we are now on our way to the channel crossing. Hopefully we will not encounter any traffic or problems with opperation stack.

Neil Murray

Due to traffic and delays at the port of Dover we are on the 05:00hrs crossing. Some of the explorers are sleeping , the others are waiting to get off the coach and explore the boat.

5 years, 7 months ago Mark wrote:
Mark

MESSAGE FROM HILS: Unit arrived safe and sound at the campsite despite the delays, very bad weather and being kept in the coach for about four hours at the campsite until the weather improved!

All good now though and they are all planning an early night before the opening ceremony tomorrow.

Janine Sinclair

Thanks Mark

5 years, 7 months ago Callum wrote:
Callum

Hi,

This is Sarah, Callum’s Mum. Please can someone verify my email details so l can register in my own name as l’m only able to view this as Callum left it logged in for me on Friday. I thought l was already registered but it didn’t recognise either of my email addresses. Thank you.

Thanks VERY much for the update, bet they are all shattered, really hope they sleep well tonight!

5 years, 7 months ago Mark wrote:
Mark

Hi Sarah, unfortunately I don’t have administrator rights on the Matrix site so I can’t sort that out for you. Hopefully they will be able to get internet access at some point and will see your message.

For not I think you’ll have to use Callum’s login I’m afraid.

Callum

I can only till tomorrow as go away then – l don’t know his details he just left it logged in on the laptop

5 years, 7 months ago Tim Fowler wrote:
Tim Fowler

Glad to hear that everyone arrived safe and sound…it sounds like it’s been an exciting journey already and it’s only just begun! reminds me of a few years ago when the kids did the Quest hike and got caught up in terrible bad weather (snow that time). Ended up being a very long day and a bit of an ordeal for them, but they all came through it and had some great stories to tell! Here’s hoping that the weather improves for you folks, and that you have a great time over there! :)

5 years, 7 months ago Laura Sinclair wrote:
Laura Sinclair

Saturday 25th July
Our journey started at midnight on Fraturday (Friday night / Saturday morning) we reached the ferry terminal at 3am but however missed our ferry by 4 minutes because of problems at the Calais port involving the French police. So we waited till 5am for the next ferry, which we thought was choppy but Hilary and Neil said it wasn’t.

We travelled through France, Belgium and then into Holland, where we happened to stop at a service station with a McDonald’s (breakfast was sorted).

Most people slept!😴

We arrived at the jamborette site at 2pm were we off loaded all the personal kit into a trailer so we didn’t have to carry it. By this point it was a tad windy and a little bit wet! We got sent back onto the coach to allow the weather to pass. It didn’t, it turned into a storm! After half an hour we got moved onto a different coach with a group from Luxembourg and some jamborette staff. We sat there for 4 and a half hours because the wind and rain picked up even more and caused trees to fall down, which deemed the site unsafe. Local roads, aeroplanes, trains and boats were cancelled / closed for safety reasons. However we had a good view of the fire brigade chopping down the tree I front of us that was going to fall over.

After 18 and a half hours on a coach we were hungry and eventually allowed onto site where the leaders that arrived early had all the tents out up and 'lunch’ was prepared.

For dinner we had cous cous, meatballs and vegetables. For pudding we had cinnamon cake with apple sauce and lots and lots of sprinkles. 😃

That’s it for now more updates to follow.

5 years, 7 months ago Karl (COTTAGE) wrote:
Karl (COTTAGE)

This is Karl’s mum on Karl’s sign in!

Thanks for the update Laura, sounds like you are having a fab time already!

5 years, 7 months ago Adi |-/ xD wrote:
Adi |-/ xD

Hi, this is Asha, Adi’s mum on his signed in account, Thank god he left it that way so I could get on it.
Thank you Laura for your detailed update. I am sure the weather hasn’t dampened all your spirits!!

5 years, 7 months ago Tim Fowler wrote:
Tim Fowler

Cheers for the update Loopy :)

5 years, 7 months ago Bryn Atkinson wrote:
Bryn Atkinson

Hi this is Nina, Bryn’s mum on Bryns account. Thanks Laura for the update much appreciated. Hope weather is getting better and you have an amazing time.

Callum

Thanks Laura, great to have an update.

Ha ha, it seems l’m not the only parent to not have my own login details!!

Janine Sinclair

Hello Loopy 😚 thank you for the update. Glad you are all safe and well and no doubt having a blast. Look forward to the next blog 😀

5 years, 7 months ago Greg Beasley wrote:
Greg Beasley

Sunday 26th July
After a goods night sleep we had a continental breakfast of bread and jam or chocolate spread. We then explored the jamborete campsite badge swapped and made friends. We also had a sub-camp games were we were put into groups with people from other countries. The opening ceremony started at 9. We sang our sub-camp songs and the camp song. The camp was opened by the camp leader and the deputy major of Haarlem. We learnt that the storm we had on Saturday was Holland’s biggest storm since 1901.

5 years, 7 months ago Joe wrote:
Joe

27/07/15

Hi everyone! Holland to home… We are still alive! So today we were up at half five in order to get ready and have breakfast in preparation for our big day ahead – excursion day! We visited Park Walibi, a massive theme park around an hour and a half away from camp. If you think English weather is bad… Holland is a force to be reckoned with! It rained non-stop throughout most of our time at the park from 10am-4pm with only occasional breaks and failed attempts of sunshine. Drenched to the bone but full of adrenaline after our day on the rides, our spirits were still high. There were six big rides, some quite similar to those of Thorpe Park and Alton Towers. Despite abysmal weather, wasps were out in force and abusing as usual, with four unit members falling victim to stings (all are fine now). Sitting here in our communal mess tent the rain continues to dampen our surroundings but not our spirits. We did manage to get a couple of dry hours upon our return to the camp. For dinner we had potatoes, meatballs in gravy and cauliflower cheese. Hope everyone at home is well in the warmth and comfort of their homes (despite our insane jealousy). Look out for the next exciting (yet partially tragic) chapter of our adventures here in Holland tomorrow. PEACE OUT! From Joe, Eloise, Samantha and the rest of the unit.

Janine Sinclair

Thanks Greg, Joe, Eloise and Samantha!
Weather here is not brilliant but not quite as bad as you guys in Holland! Weather forcast is set to improve in Haarlem from Wednesday/Thursday!! Enjoy your day off tomorrow xx

Karl (COTTAGE)

Karl’s mum here!

Glad to hear your spirits haven’t been dampened! Looking forward to hearing of your next adventure!

Joe

😕😀x

5 years, 7 months ago Tom Andrews wrote:
Tom Andrews

All of camp is great so far, very tiring days and also unfortunate showers creating hassle with damp and moist clothing. Tom Andrews

5 years, 7 months ago Kaela Fowler wrote:
Kaela Fowler

We have water sports tomorrow hopefully it doesn’t rain!!!!

5 years, 7 months ago Lynne Boyt wrote:
Lynne Boyt

Hope it drys up for you and the sun shines soon.

Enjoy the water sports – guess it won’t matter too much if it rains, you’ll be wet anyway!!

have fun

Callum

Do you think they are writing less as they’re too busy having a good time? I hope so!!
Sarah, Callum’s Mum

Lynne Boyt

either that or their phones are waterlogged!!

Janine Sinclair

Have you watched the videos?!! I think they are way to busy to blog us!! They are a tough crowd to please if they are not having fun with all the exciting things on offer, wish I was there!!

Callum

Yes l agree Janine – loving the videos if somewhat blurred on my mobile!!
Callum gave me his login details a few days ago with a very brief text adding 'yh it’s rly gd’!

Karl (COTTAGE)

It’s gone very, very quiet …..... they must be having too much fun to keep us posted! Lol, we’re enjoying one more peaceful weekend xx

5 years, 7 months ago Rosemary Hobson wrote:
Rosemary Hobson

Hello. We are really enjoying the updates…..though now the rain has stopped and they are having fun it has become quiet!
A couple of parents have mentioned videos, I’m not too sure where these are, if someone can help please let me know.
Thanks Rosemary ( Amelia’s mum)

Karl (COTTAGE)

28/07/15

Once upon a time in Yellowlands, matrix had a lye in, we had brunch at 12:30, which consisted of a buffet including sandwiches and nibbles

Then the unexpected happened… the sun came out!!!

We built our gateway which stands strong at the entrance complete with our new sail flag which blows gracefully in the wind.

During the sun we played a variety of games including vortex, Frisbee (which Charlie was not involved in!) and football.

Throughout the day we swapped many badges and scarfs, during this we met Julian, a Dutch scout who likes England (especially our tea!)

In the evening for dinner we had a chicken stir-fry….. YUM!

Then the wind came and caused a chill in the air. many people from our camp collected in the mess tent and played card games which included, chase the ace, cheat, go fish and a Dutch games called teasing which Julian taught us when he returned for tea and biscuits.

Then some headed off to the daily disco before bed. The end and everyone lived happily ever after for another day in Yellowlands.

-Laura Sinclair

Karl (COTTAGE)

This is Karl’s mum

Lol … Glad to hear you are having fun!

Karl (COTTAGE)

Rosemary are you on Facebook? If so I’ll tag you the Facebook page! Or you could try searching Haarlem jamborette, there is also a Facebook page for Haarlem jamborette – subcamp yellowlands, this is our kids camp!

Karl (COTTAGE)

29/7/15

Today we woke up to sun shine. We had breakfast and then went to our activities which included, Jacobs ladder, raft building, colour wipe out, mad max, low land games, pioneering, backwards cooking, archery and zip line. all of these activities fall under trail activities, during the raft building Karl (cottage) fell into the water and was soaked and freezing which meant he didn’t want to do anything else for the rest of the day.

We had lunch and it was still sunny. We then went to our second activity, during the activity, colour wipe out Karl (cottage) fell flat on his face into a patch of wet mud. later in the afternoon it started to rain for a short time so we stayed pretty dry.

We then had wraps with mince meat for tea with butter cookies and vla for dissert (custard) we then had a sub campfire later that night.

-Greg Beasley

Karl (COTTAGE)

Sounds like my son, Karl, had a good adventure! Shame it wasn’t the water after the mud! Would’ve saved him having a shower …... If he knows what that is!?!?

Sounds like you are all having a great time and not missing the creature comforts of home …...

Janine Sinclair

Karl, Karl, Cottage Karl!!! What more can I say?!!

Laura Sinclair writing a fairy tale? Will my dream come true and Laura acutally make contact with her Mother? Doubt it, but at least I know you are having fun while I trawl the Jamborette video footage for hope of a glimpse of a Matrix ESU member. I trust you are all making full use of the washing facilities after all these awesome activities!

Hope you all enjoyed Amsterdam today. xx

Karl (COTTAGE)

theres not a lot you could say j9 appart from i was so annoyed that day and i looked so bad lol

Karl (COTTAGE)

Hey Karl! How come you can spare time to chat with j9 but not your mother!?!? 😰

Janine Sinclair

Lol looks like Karls having a convo with himself! Enjoy your hikes tomorrow x

5 years, 7 months ago Bethany L wrote:
Bethany L

Hello, sorry we haven’t posted we’ve all been super busy and Friday will come soon…

Saturday 1st August
Today we had our Jambo tour which involved is heading to Amsterdam and a science museum called nemo, the museum was very interesting as it was very interactive,we found it very educational! On top of nemo the roof top was incredible and you could almost see the whole of the city from it. The rest of the day was spent exploring Amsterdam, this happened to be the same time as a gay pride parade which made the city extra colourful!

Sunday 2nd August
Today we had reflections in the morning where we joined the rest of the participants in the main boulevard to reflect on the camp so far! A man even used sand to create images that allowed us to reflect easily. In the afternoon we had open house which meant that we had loads of family and friends (mainly the Dutch) come and see the jamborette and take part in all the activities the groups had on offer. Matrix ran a duck hunt around the rest of the sub camp where everyone had a duck (43 in total) we also ran a hook a duck which others seemed to enjoy.

Monday 3rd August
This was probably the hottest day of the camp so far and today we had hikes. There were 3 hikes on offer the punisher (47km), the polder which was 14 1/2 miles and the city hike which was 5 miles. 12 people including Ron took part in the punisher and all of which completed it. Everyone is now suffering now or if they aren’t they will be tomorrow morning but everyone is okay and been 'deep heated’. We managed to finish 2nd out of 11 teams. The polder hike had an interesting interpretation of instructions. They watched a road bridge rise while around 10 cruisers crossed however about 100 bikes had built up waiting to cross! The city hike was “amazing” even though they did get a bit lost as the instructions were slightly confusing.
Overall a good day had by all and we are all still having a fab time! Hope everyone is well at home!
Bethany Leaver

5 years, 7 months ago Annette Beasley wrote:
Annette Beasley

Glad you’re all having a good time. Thanks Bethany for the update

5 years, 7 months ago Bethany L wrote:
Bethany L

Also David, Bryn and George got invested while in Amsterdam!

Janine Sinclair

Thanks for the updates Bethany. Wow fantastic opportunity to be invested.

5 years, 7 months ago Hils wrote:
Hils

TIME TO RETURN HOME!!
Well this seems to have come round very quickly as we have been soooo busy! After the punisher hike yesterday we do have a number of Explorer Scouts who are suffering with blisters and aching legs so I am sure they will welcome the return to their nice cosy beds! The rain has returned today so everything is a little soggy – parents be warned – get ready for the smelly, muddy washing!!

Our timetable is to leave here at midday tomorrow (Wednesday) and be back at 9th Aylesbury Scout HQ for 9pm. There are a number of factors that could affect this so we will ring the home contact when we clear customs at Dover so you know we are only a couple of hours away. Jeanne will then post it on the website.

If the van gets back around the same time as us we would appreciate a hand getting the van emptied. The leaders plan to go back to the HQ on Thursday morning to sort the kit out and put it away. At the moment we haven’t set a time for this. When we do know we will let people know as if there are any ES free, again a hand would be appreciated.

I am sure parents have missed their little darlings more than they have missed you!!!!

See you all tomorrow
Hils

Lynne Boyt

It’s been great reading about all your adventures each day.
Enjoy your last day and have a safe journey back.
Washing machine has been warned!!
x

Bryn Atkinson

Safe journey back and thank you for keeping us updated sounds like you all have had a great adventure. Nina (Bryns’ mum)

Neil Murray

Good evening all we are just arriving in Dover about to get off the boat, hopefully without any traffic problems we should be back at the HQ for around 21:00hrs. However there maybe equipment to sort out depending upon the eta of the van. So nobody will be able leave until they are dismissed.

Everyone is in good spirits after a really good closing ceremony , and yellow lands victory over the other sub camps, they are tried and dirty but that means that they have had a good time.

See you all soon
Neil

Callum

Thanks Neil,

Tired and dirty – sounds like a typical Scout camp to me!!!

See you all later on.

Joe

Final Holland Update? 05/08/15
Last night was the closing ceremony for the Jamborette where the entire event gathered together to celebrate the past 10 days. It’s fair to say that the entire unit (and the rest of our sub camp Yellow) were excited to find out whether we won as a team against Red, Green and Orange by getting the most points so that our Avatar could grow. Whilst Ryan led screams and chants in support of our group, the team announced by the Jamborette leader was in fact yellow! The entire arena went up in screams as the whole team jumped around in celebration of our victory (however some are slightly bitter we didn’t get a prize) and a fun evening was had by all! I think the leaders may have even become a tad irritated by our repetitive screams into their ears the entire time. A disco followed the closing ceremony but we weren’t partying too late because we knew we had an early start and a busy day today! We woke up for breakfast at 7:30 and soon after set to work on taking down the tents (a long and tedious process) and we were ready to be picked up by our coach at 12:00. We caught the ferry at 5:15 and have now arrived back in the good old (but considerably colder) UK at long last. All very excited to spend the night in our own beds when we get home! A fantastic holiday was had by all the past 12 days so a big thanks goes to the leader team for organising the trip and making it good fun. Thanks for following our adventure!
Joe Kennett

5 years, 7 months ago Rosemary Hobson wrote:
Rosemary Hobson

Thank you to the team of leaders for the wonderful experience the group have enjoyed.
Thank you also to Karl Cottage’s mum for helping me find the videos to watch.

I am looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Karl (COTTAGE)

This is Karl’s mum,

Rosemary, I’m glad you found the videos, I hope Amelia had a great time!

Lynne Boyt

Glad you all had a wonderful time, I’ve enjoyed reading abuot your adventures.
Thank you to the leaders for taking them.
WELL DONE for for winning :)

See you very soon

Bryn Atkinson

Welcome back. This is Bryn’s mum.

Wow by the sounds of it you all had an amazing time. Just one dampner for Bryn someone stole his badge swaps and a woggle out of his bag what shame someone could do this!